If you can get it, D-76 (or it's Ilford equivalent ID-11) and Tri-X is a classic combination. There's very little else that can match or exceed it. Understandably some people prefer HC-110 and others might prefer something else, but for an almost foolproof combination, you can't beat it. XTOL works well too, and I use it at high dilutions, 1+3, when I want a bit of compensating effect in high contrast situations. That combination gives me good shadow detail at the film's advertised speed - no need to concern yourself with downrating the film and trying to find a suitable development time.

If it's speed you're after, then you must try Diafine. I realize that it might be difficult for you to obtain, but if you can rate your Tri-X conservatively at around E.I. 1250 and you'll still have good shadow detail and sharpness albeit with a bit more grain than with a more standard type of developer.

All the chatter about revised development times for "new" vs. "old' Tri-X is really just that - a lot of chatter. With D-76/ID-11 diluted 1+1 the recommendation for "old" Tri-X is between 10 and 11 minutes. For new Tri-X the recommendation is for 9.75 minutes. We are not talking about a huge difference here. Personally I've just stuck with the "old" Tri-X developing times for the film and it works just fine. Unlike TMax films, Tri-X responds much more gently to slight elongations in processing times before things get really ugly.