I'm afraid I have to differ a bit with Ian.

As far as I am aware, no regular black and white paper is panchromatic. Only the now discontinued Panalure was panchromatic, and that was designed for making black and white prints from colour negatives. Panchromatic means sensitive to all visible light.

Older orthochromatic materials were sensitive to blue light mainly, with some lower sensitivity to green. You would use a red safelight with them, but that isn't ideal, because our eyes aren't particularly sensitive to red. Our eyes tend to be more sensitive to the light from a Kodak amber (OC) safelight, so we would like to be able to use those safelights (the darkroom seems much brighter), but as most orthochromatic materials were not designed for use with an OC safelight, one needs to test whether they are compatible.

The newer (and now more common) materials that are designed for an OC safelight have a narrow band of insensitivity that matches the light output from that safelight. Most of them are also insensitive to the red light emitted by safelights designed for orthochromatic materials, but again it is very important to test.

Other manufacturers make safelights to the OC standard.

Regular "red" bulbs aren't necessarily sources of sufficiently narrow spectrum red light, so they cannot be relied upon without testing.

It is possible to use some of the single spectrum LED lights that are new to the market for safelight use, but because they aren't tested or marketed for that purpose, you end up doing the testing yourself. I'm currently using two of those red LEDs, but I have older safelights to fall back on.