Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
The method of pointing the incident meter at the light source is a crutch: of course it will show a higher EV that way and avoid burned out highlights, but simply applying an educated exposure compensation does exactly the same, and probably better.
I agree.

I'm not above using shortcuts when they work and save me time and metering the main sure could/can where it fits and is practiced in someone's system.

Intellectually the biggest problem that I have with the meter the main method is that it seems to be a hold-over from slide shooting and it is intentionally mis-placing the subject to protect the highlights.

First, with negatives that's not normally a problem on the film, and second, the need for protecting the highlights is a subjective/artistic choice anyway.

Third, and this for me is the deal killer, before I make the decision to compensate in any manner I need to decide, if it is even needed? If it is then I need to decide, how much? From experience before I turn the meter's head to the main I need to know how that will change my reading and if I know that, I don't need to even turn the head.