I have a lot of old kodachromes from my grandad, he passed away a couple of years ago. He was a sailor for most of his life and an avid photographer. Born in sweden he did what a lot of working class kids did back in the day and jumped on a ship. I haven't checked them out yet, but will any weekend soon, there in another town. There are pictures from the caribbean (according to my father there is a lot of slides from cuba, before and after the revolution), the US, africa and the middle east, mostly from the 50's to the 70's. I still own and use the cameras he used (a yashica rangefinder and a chinon slr, the latter being the biggest and heaviest 35 mm slr I have handled!). The only scanner I have access to use is an Imacon, but I will see if I can get my hands on a flatbed for doing bulk scans of these slides, the Imacon beast takes a lot of time to operate and I would have to unmount all the slides, a process that could risk harming them and bringing more dust into the equation. I'm also thinking of 'telecining' directly from the projector screen with a dslr for making a basic selection though.

I think it could be a fun vacation project, but it's just that that there is soooo much slides. It's like crazy! It's tens of big boxes of slides. I'm thinking of starting a separate postume flickr account for the project.