This is a great thread. I too live in a pretty boring area. Theres quite alot to see if I travel about 3 hour east or west or north. But in my little corner its pretty bland. So I've been trying to work my head around the same issues.

Heres what i found so far:

1. If you cant be at the right place, be at the right time. OK, so you are not in a phenomenally photogenic place like Yosemite. Well ive been there and I've managed to take really bland boring pictures there with not a AA lookalike in the bunch. Why didnt the art just magically flow into every frame? Mostly because I stink as an artist! But also because I wasnt there at the right time. High noon in late summer with a cloudless sky and just a trickle of water flow. How boring is that? **The really great pictures of Yosemite have something more than just the slabs of granite. Perfect lighting, snow, mist, moons in the background, etc. Those photographers either did the research or did the time to know when exactly to be there to get the dramatic pic.

So there you are doing time in suburbia. Scout out places that you think have potential. Mark them on a map or log. Now while you are living out your days, pay attention to what is going on in your area. Weather patterns, fog, solar/lunar, events, parades, gatherings, breaking news, whatever. Get a kit packed and ready with everything you need. just be ready for that special day when the planets align and that assembly-line of houses suddenly becomes the center of a magical confluence on energy.

2. Hone your technique. Just think if you live a town with the same houses and the same sky and the same people... that gives you an excellent test environment! Practice making these mundane areas look interesting. When you do go on that vacation of a lifetime and you take a suitcase full of film. You want to be able to use it to your full extent.