So I'm reading Dunn & Wakefield's Exposure Manual and trying to digest some of the ideas.

One of the ideas is using the lowest possible exposure for the SBR, I know not so new, but the reason for doing it was at least new to me. The shadows are placed on the film toe to match them against the papers shoulder.

Printing strictly from the negatives straight line skews how the paper responds. It opens the shadows and blocks up the highlights.

The other idea that has been floating about my head is where to place certain subjects to improve the relationship to the rest of a photo.

My thought here is that we expect faces in full sun to be really bright, not so much in shaded situations. (This is where I think a lot of flash photography falls on it's face, the subject gets too bright and no longer fits the setting.)

So I had two thoughts;

1) It seems to me that at say street fairs and the like where there are shaded areas but lots of sun too placing all the exposures based on faces in shade a zone or two below normal should place all the faces to better match expectations.

2) In low light reducing exposure should also make things look more normal in a print.

I have only tested #2 and only a little but so far it seems to have merit. 400 speed film shot at 800 without any process change seem to place faces nicely on paper.

Anybody else see similar results?