Likes: I like geometric patterns found in everyday objects. I like a representation of surface and texture. I like composition, including form and focus. I like discovering new photographic techniques, paper negatives, cyanotypes, chemical free, pin hole, and the perspective and point of view that some of these processes both produce and allow. I like photgraphy that demonstrates a level of mastery, which is usually way above my own (I like to be impressed). I like the things that photography seems able to present as a unique media (I like knowing that a thing is a photograph, and nothing else can look like it). And I like images where I say, "No kidding, that's a photograph?" I like photographs that take me to places and situations I probably will never go in person. I like photographs that open doors or windows and allow a look inside, or outside (but I don't think it's neccessary to open doors or windows simply to shock or insult). I like the accidents in photography that result in unusual images. I like regular objects rendered as "priceless artifacts" (lavish lighting and set dressing on a water glass). Come to think of it, I like artifacts, old cars, old houses, old barns, old buildings, old towns, old trees, old people. I personally like to document my surroundings, and appreciate others who do the same (I like seeing how people see things). Philosophically, I enjoy the fact that photography is a medium of communication. I like beauty, whatever that might be.
What I don't like: I've been working my way through the gallery, I can only think of a very small number of photographs where I found my self saying: "I don't like that". In between what I can say I don't like, and what I can say I really like, is great number of images that just missed by an RCH, er change that to eyelash. The trully wonderfull image, and the trully terrible image are not that common. In all the rest there's maybe one or two things to like, and take away with the idea that you, or I, might be able to improve on. Or to avoid...