Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
Ok so I chewed on this thought most of the morning and I don't see the point you are trying to make.

The technique doesn't really matter, spot, incident, sunny 16, all simply provide a reference point.

From whatever reference point we have, with an understanding what it has just told us, we need to decide where we want to place that tone or those tones on the curve.
In the case of spot lighting the exposure with the reflectance meter where the reading is taken and then the indicated exposure is reduced should produce the same exposure indication as a straight incident meter reading taken on stage. I was trying to point out that those examples aren't so much about a difference in exposure placement but simply interpreting the meter reading.

I've only had a chance to glance at page 32. My first impression is there are a few caveats that need to be address with Dunn's statement. Also, being in the motion picture and color section should raise a flag. There are differences in what defines acceptable conditions between motion picture, transparency, color negative, and black and white negative.