Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
... As to Ralph's ethical objections to the price, this is what they all really cost, it's just in this case no western reseller has had the opportunity to slap a big margin on it. You see the exact same items for $2 on eBay and then $8-$15 from AU resellers and then $25+ in retail stores; buying the $25 version doesn't mean the factory is getting any more than $1. Same model, clearly comes out of the same factory. Personally, I have no issue with cutting two or three layers of middlemen out, ...
Nowhere in the civilized world can you possibly make a thermometer like this for less than $1. I'm afraid when you peel the layers of middlemen back on this one, you'll see something ugly such as people working 12h for peanuts or worse: child and prison layer. Of course, I have no proof of that, but with prices that low, I'll stay on the safe side and go by: If it sound too good to be true, it most-likely is.

I do not shop in dollar stores for the same reason, by the way.

I'm actually quite frugal and compare prices before I buy, but I never quite understood the hunt for the lowest price at all cost.