You're right, Mike. There is nothing wrong with being painstakingly exacting in one's work. I think everyone should excercise an attention to detail every time the shutter gets tripped. I attain for the same in my own personal work. I am sure the majority here, by and large, agree. Hands down.

It's always easy to armchair quarterback someone else's peoblems. I don't see it as a matter of needing to accept less than perfection. I see it as more the level of perfection, if you will. I photograph to exacting standards based on my experience and personality. I am not OCD by any stretch but I have talked myself out of a few photographs after time was invested in shot set up. But not often. And it may also be due to the subject matter. I shoot primarily landscape and more often than not, I try to infuse an idea or an emotion into what I photograph.

Architecture, though, can be much more straight if allowed to be. I suppose the same goes for landscape as well. What I mean to say is that things like this depend upon our own standards for our subject and its interpretation. I'm not saying I have low standards. But it does seem that yours are very high and being exacting from the level of perfection, where being critcal can move past the place where it edifies your experience by teaching you to the place where you box yourself in and are self-constricted by your need to attain 'just that look'.

As I hinted at, earlier, we all want just that look in our work. But if you begin from place of being overly self critical you can decimate yourself.

Try this. As much as it will go against every fiber of your being. Go to your favorite place. Dedicate yourself to no more than a FEW minutes consideration for each photograph and then MAKE a PHOTOGRAPH, whether you want to or not. Then process the film. And then print it. Put your work into it. And you might just find that your level of desired perfection might be found a little unnecessary.

And that was armchairing at its finest.