Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
If there's a bright side to look on (apart from the fact that all survived), it's that in such cases there are usually salvageable parts that go on to keep other examples flying or to complete static exhibits.
One of the saddest documentaries I remember concerned the restoration of a B-29 somewhere in the Arctic Circle. After many problems getting it airworthy it was ready to fly out when a relatively minor fuel leak caused a major fire and the aircraft's total destruction. Unfortunately aluminium burns rather well in the right circumstances, as the British Navy discovered in the Falklands War.

Steve
That pissed me off so much. That guy was an idiot. He insisted on flying it off the iceberg, against everyone's recommendations and pleas. Way to ruin a rare piece of history for a chance at pumping your own ego, buddy! All he had to do was ship it to a safe location, and it could have been saved.

I believe there may only be one airworthy B-29 left. I happened to see it by chance at Camarillo airport in Southern California maybe 10 years ago. I was heading south on 101 and saw it in the distance sitting by a hangar. I was surprised, to say the least! I was only able to get up to a fence about 50 feet from it.