Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
This is why you need to shoot at dusk, in that twilight zone, effectively depending on the exposure for the rest of the scene you can make the image appear to have been taken at night, or in daylight, anyway if the ambient lights too low the moon will be very over exposed anyway.

It's easier to do than explain. Think of the famous AA shot that's twilight.

Ian
True, but printing Moonrise required a lot of work, particularly to bring the sky down. My situation would indeed involve an unavoidably overexposed moon, falling on Zone X, but plenty of detail would be recorded and I can bring it down with development and printing controls. I've had to deal with significantly higher contrast scenarios so this is not a very difficult luminance range to handle. It's really only the movement of the moon that troubles me.

As Diapositivo suggested above, perhaps a "manual" double exposure, keeping the shutter open for hours and blocking the lens etc. But my shutter is not mechanical. Another variation on this occured to me. I could do a double exposure using the multiple exposure lever on the camera, and if I do the moon exposure low enough, say zone V-VI, everything else in the scene will receive essentially zero exposure, so even if the film moves slightly out of register between exposures it won't matter. This wouldn't work if there are clouds around though. Anyhow, always challenging out there.