Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
...bad scan, bad density readings...
Just re-asserting. VueScan drives the scanner at a low level, without significant adjustment the numbers appear accurate and in density form (for example 0.22 - 0.85 for a very thin neg of my grandfather that my densitometer confirmed is 0.26 - 0.64 it can't measure the small 'highlight') and I go no further than Preview.

---
If it weren't for the standards upheld by APUG mediators and self-mediation, my vision for my own darkroom processes (I'm opening up the faucet) would not be as clear as it is today.

I use Zone System for silver gelatin prints that are done fully analog, with a couple electronic devices used for specific purposes. I may possess devices that would be useful in a hybrid process, but I choose (I'm getting out my trays) analog.

I use the Zone System with adaptations for the 21st century (I'm opening up Notepad on my computer just to get a white screen to examine negatives by) because I can reflect back on all the advice learned and taught over the years.

Today I am doing a 4x5 print on 11x14. Thanks to Bob Carnie's advice, I am doing 3 prints. I do not have a 4x5 scanner so although I talked in this thread of using scanners for the job, I am reading densities with a real densitometer. (B+F 0.15 Placed shadow 0.55 Clouds 1.77 Typical high values 1.16).

There they are, three spots in the sky. Out comes the Adams and Bausch and Lomb. It's hard to treat black spots on prints so I am going to opaque them out. They'll be easy to spot on the print later.