If I had just bought a DSLR or a digital rangefinder camera and were looking for instruction in photography basics, I wouldn't be inclined to sign up for a class that used film cameras, regardless of the rationale for learning with film. I would feel that there would be significant aspects of the seminar that had no relevance to me and my new camera. If I'm going to spend money to take a class, buy an instruction video, or a book, I'm going to look for something that features equipment as similar to my own as possible. I know this about me because I do the same thing in reverse all the time. If I'm browsing through books or videos on photography or lighting techniques, for example, I automatically rule out anything that is designed around or features digital cameras, since they aren't relevant to me. I doubtless pass up a lot of useful material, but digital bores me and I just have no special interest in it. I want material that is oriented toward film photography. I'm sure that digital users make the same kinds of decisions.

I just took a basic woodworking class. I could have chosen one oriented toward using hand tools, or one that featured power tools. I took the latter because I don't have many hand woodworking tools, but I have a number of power tools. I could learn the same basic concepts in either course, but I knew I'd get exposure that is more relevant to how I'll actually be working by taking the power tools version.