Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
I just got a Lunasix 3 almost accidentally and thought I would give it a go (I invested in the battery conversion thingy and even the guy at B&H where I bought it thought the price was outrageous).

The meter is physically different from other meters I have used and I am not sure I am holding it right for incident light. Let's use a portrait example. Normally, I would hold the incident meter in front of the subject so that the dome is facing the camera. If I try to do this with the Gossen, I have to hold it horizontal and backwards. This doesn't seem right. It feels like I should hold the meter vertically with the dome facing upwards. But this doesn't seem right either. Also, there is one stop difference between these two methods.

I can do tests of course, but thought I would solicit some thoughts first from you folks.
The dome points the way with an incident meter. The dome is in a different position on the body than it is on the Sekonic, so of course you must hold the meter horizontal and backwards with the Gossen. Not only that, but the Sekonic lets you get the meter almost right up to the person's face, while in order to get the Gossen's dome as close, the person must move is or her head out of the way. This can make a difference in meter reading if the lights are close enough.

As for the meters being different, that happens all the time! First of all, different makers assign middle gray to different amounts of light. For example, 18 percent is the common figure we hear, but I think some meter makers use 14 percent.

There is also the issue of age and calibration. Have both meters been serviced by a person who really knows light meters?

The domes' yellowing over time can also block light.