Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
Some folks demanding photos not be taken might be in hiding (from the law, an abusive ex, etc.), some may be mentally unbalanced, some may just be self-important busybodies. (I'll assume diapositivos comment was meant as a joke.)

Hornby Island, a favorite place of ours, has a clothing optional beach. One cool and cloudy day I was taking LF photos at one end of the beach where there's a wonderful jumble of eroded sandstone. A fully clothed man appoached me stridently stating I wasn't allowed to take photos because it was a nude beach. My camera was clearly pointed at a rock. I offered to show him the groundglass. He repeated his assertion that no photos were allowed. There were 2 brave souls in the water at the other end of the beach - far enough away that their clothing option wasn't apparent. The camera was not pointed that away. I tool my photo, he hovered around saying I was going to get in trouble. He finally left when I folded up my tripod.

I've taken photos there many times, sometimes when the beach is well populated by sun worshippers. No one else has ever objected because I'm respectful of other's privacy. I've seen lots of P&S cameras, and no one seems bothered by them.

A photo I'd have loved to take was a birthday party for a matriarch. She was surrounded by her children and grandchildren. She was proudly, brownly, naked; all her family were clothed. Terrific scene, but my camera stayed in it's pack.
Sly, don't make assumption about what I write, that has no purpose. Mine was an openly sexist remark, and meant to be*. Maybe not totally deprived of a certain un-serious flair as obvious. This is a photographic forum not a psychology University course.

Regarding your encounter on the nudist camp, I understand the person who came and tell you that you couldn't take pictures in a nudist camp. That's very easy to understand on a let's say "moral" ground.

Although one might wonder if the place was a public one, a private one etc. and could challenge maybe the injunction on juridical ground, one might expect people don't want naked photographs of them freely circulating.

I understand you were not taking pictures of people, but the "warden", or the other persons on the place, might not feel like being on a surveillance duty specifically on you to see where you turn your camera. It certainly is something that make people feel uncomfortable that there is a guy with a camera, regardless of where he's actually pointing it.

Some people doing street photography, you know, do exactly this, point the camera first somewhere else, and then on the intended subject.

Fabrizio

* As I like saying: "I'm not anti-feminist. I'm misogynous".