In different jurisdicitons different standards apply but generally, there is a delineation between journalism with its 1st amendment protection that allows certain exemptions form the I.P. rules and publication for profit that is outside of journalism that does not have such exemptions. As case law developed journalism has generally come to mean someone writing of a news worthy event of interest to the public and published in a periodical. Authorship lies outside journalism and is identified with a dedicated publishment such as a book. Of course a person may be both in a lifetime but perform each function at differnt times. The use of a trademark or copyright outside of jounalism and for nonpersonal and nonprofit use requires consent of the I.P. holder. It does not require the author to so state he has received permission to use it unless stated in the contract for use. That said, if there is a violation, the question then arises whether there were damages as a result. In a number of instances there may be liability but no damages. An example would be each time a piece is sold and the seller publishes the name of the maker, in theory since there is a profit motive, he would need to get permission and when required give credit to the I.P. owner. However, selling a used Bronica on the auction site may create liability, the damages to Tamron are none as it has not sold the product in years nor currently offers any under that name. However, another company can not make a product and market it under the Bronica name as Tamron owns it and the use by another may be detrimental as to the value of the name and its use in the future. For instance, a company makes a Lomo grade camera and markets it as a Bronica thereby creating a reputation that Bronica and its owner, Tamron, make low grade cameras. It would hurt the reputation of Tamron and reduce the value of the Bronica name when and if Tamron decided to bring out another Bronica product equal to the original Bronica's name.

Most I.P. lawyers would know when to advise the client to get permission from an I.P. holder and negotiate the license. Also, most (I assume) know and understand the difference between liabiltiy and damages and would advise their clients to pursue a court action and when to quietly settle the issue and just when to ignore the issue.