Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
That's very interesting, but very challenging for the DIY-challenged like me. I looked on search engines for PID-thermostat, PT100 sensor, I get what you mean, but how do one assemble all those things?

A PID-thermostat is something that controls boilers. How do I connect it to a heating element?
A PT100 sensor is shown (the one I found) with some kind of a round connector. How do I connect it to the PID-thermostat? Is the thermostat voltage-dependant? Do I need to earth some of the above?

Is there somewhere (maybe here on APUG, or somewhere else) a "dummy guide" that specifies exactly what one must look for (without margin for buying errors) and how to connect all the pieces, without margins for fires and shortcircuits? A guide that lets you go to the home-improvement store with a list of things to buy, and lets you assemble them at home, unfailingly well?

Things that look easy for those who know, look mysterious for those who don't know, you know
It's not really that hard. My pid-thermostat had screwconnectors for all cables. All you need is cable stripper pliers (or a knife/scissors) and a small screwdriver. But my thermostat is not chinese, so I don't know how to hook those up, some of them need an external relay, mine has an internal relay. I can take some pics in the morning if you like. The things you need aren't found in a home-improvement store though, I'm afraid. Well, maybe you can find a cooler that you can use.

The ebaystore mixtea has sensors, SSRs and thermostats. The sensor is easy to hook-up, just remember to use shielded cable if you need to extend the cables. The thermostats he sells must be used with a relay, use a solid state one (SSR). There is a pdf on sestos site which tells you which terminals to use.

Basically you screw or solder the SSR (solid state relay) on to two terminals, your mains cables on to two terminals, and the sensor on to two terminals. And then you hook up your heating element to the SSR and mains (depending on how the SSR looks). Easy peasy.