One thing to remember when hiking out with heavy equipment is that you have to hike back. A few years ago we were in Yellowstone Natl. Park and I went to Uncle Tom's Trail that takes you down along side Yellowstone Falls. When you get to the trail head there is a large sign warning you that if you have heart, back or other problems turn back. Although I am far from being a youngster I am in very good physical condition and figured I could always turn back. The trail becomes a series of stairs and it was quite easy going down with my 30 pounds of equipment in a backpack as well as my tripod over my shoulder. I was surprised there was no other people on the trail and happy that my wife decided to remain in the car and read. After reaching the bottom I found it was not the greatest vantage point for photographing. You know the rest of the story -- you have to climb back up. It was a huffing and puffing event being not far from a vertical climb. I did make it and was pleased that my cardiovascular system took it well. There is something to the observation that when no one else is on the trail, think twice.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/