Thanks Matt!

In all likelihood I would be travelling by plane or train, but I like the idea of having my own transport in the Uluru area, specifically to get great light. I did use a tour there many years before, but of course was limited to where they drove us, at what time of day, and the fact that it rained every day in the Simpson Desert while I was there.

Although I'm not adverse to driving long distances through the middle of nowhere (done it many times in Canada after all), I'd probably stick to smaller, more focused areas due to unfamiliarity with the terrain/climate, time, and cost.

In any event, this is still just in the preliminary stages as it all depends if I'm still in Japan next year (!) and, if I am, if I get accepted to the conference I want to present at in Wellington.

Edit: Derwent, just saw your post. I'd love to go to Tasmania -- it's been a dream of mine for many years. I do love the raw, bare nature of winter (my favorite season to photograph), but the weather might be an issue (not as a local, but as a tourist). It's definitely still on the list, but for now it's a wait and see game for me.