I'm obviously not Bob Carnie (which is good for him), but I'd like to ask if your acquaintance maybe runs a replenished version of the same developer you use? That would give sharper negatives that are more acute, and with slightly finer grain.

Just an aside to your thought process.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
Bob, could you elaborate on what this means when using non-staining devs?

I mean, say w/ d-76 or HC-110, are you saying while developing that the silver and image structure migrates in the highlights...? Do you think this have any correlation to the old practice of keeping the wet time of the film to a minimum (something that's been argued as false here, but which I was always taught..."don't let the grain swim around!")?

I ask, b/c there's a fellow I know and respect who runs very very very good film. He and I use the same dev, and when on rare occasion I've had him run my film, the one major difference I've noticed is how much sharper, acute in grain, and more tonal separation, he achieves in the highlights and say zone 7 and up.

I've often wondered what the difference is in how we handle the film...and I thought he may just develop to a higher CI more aggressively, but your above statement about silver migrating in the highlights made me wonder if there could be other things at play.

Apologies for derailing the thread!