I recently bought this enlarger and although I'm no stranger to darkrooms it's the first one I've bought myself and am a total stranger to fixing them. It came with what looked like a European plug so i changed it to a British one. When i plugged it in it blew the bulb along with all the sockets in the house. I changed the fuse to a 3amp and this time it only blew the bulb.

So, my question is do I need a transformer? I've managed to get hold of a manual for it but it's not at all clear and I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to this stuff so any help would be much appreciated