Can someone invent some kind of thing that will dye or tone or stain negatives yellow or green in proportion to silver density.

I'm interested in the VC paper effects since the yellow or green Pyro-like stain acts like a graduated/variable low contrast filter. Maybe there's already something out there, but I don't know of anything.

Please don't respond recommending Pyro. This would be for 35mm negatives and I don't like Pyro developers with small/medium format film.