Quote Originally Posted by mikepry
"The purpose of the post is two fold - first wanted to understand what all those numbers/abbreviations are that I see discussed here - you know the 1.30 vs 0.12 and CI vs DR vs etc. In other words, my intent is to understand that if I used film X, exposed at Y and develop using developer A then I can expect the negative to look like P...which might be the kind of negative that I would use to print a Ziatype, on the other hand if the intended print is to be made on VC silver paper, I might want to make an adjustment to exposure or development or some other variable."

That's it....kinda. With the BTZS you START with the paper. Don Miller has written about this in the past and like him, that is what attracted me to the whole process. All the other systems leave the paper more or less out of the whole process. With BTZS you make the exposure and then and only then you decide what printing process you will use. Once decided, you develop your neg for that density range (of the paper) and voila. A negative tailored for your preffered paper for that particular image. I might suggest getting the BTZS Lite along with the BTZS book as it has a nice metering section in it that goes into the incident way of working. Good luck and if you have any questions there are a few of us here familiar with the system that will be more than happy to help out.

The density range is just that: it has nothing to do with CI or G-Bar.