Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
As for driving up prices, again for the cameras likely to be used regularly, I'm not convinced that's the case. It may be true for a pristine, boxed Leica M3, but then who would buy that to take it out and get it dusty and wet anyway?
People originally bought the M3 in that condition to use. It's a well made camera with a sharp lens. The fact it sells for thousands of pounds is entirely due to collectors removing them from the market. That trickles down to make all similar models expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
To return to the OP's question (which was only seeking advice on cameras he should have, not whether he should be collecting in the first place!) I'll throw in another - the Zenit E. Though no great shakes specification-wise, it provided a first step into the world of SLR photography for many teenagers like myself in the 1970s who couldn't afford a Pentax and wanted to move upmarket from something like a Halina Paulette.
Steve
I agree. Zenits and Prakticas are probably responsible for more documentary images of 60s and 70s Britain than any other makes because of the people they were sold to, not artists or serious photographers but those who bought them to record their other interests.