Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
I have never used a gray card in over 50 years of photography. I guess that I have another 50 years to learn, if I need to.
Ok all siriusness aside, when I am shooting black & white I have several ways that I may use to determine the exposure, in most used to least used:

• General light reading without metering the sky
  • Pick out what I want to be the middle gray in the print
  • Take a general light reading without metering the sky, the brightest that I want to be zone 7 or 8, the darkest reading that I want to show the tones [zone 2 or 3] and then determine the exposure. I use this when the subject brightness range is large

When I am shooting C-41 I have several ways that I may use to determine the exposure, in most used to least used:

• Pick out what I want to be the middle gray equivalent in the print
  • Take a general light reading without metering the sky, the brightest that I want to be zone 7 or 8, the darkest reading that I want to show the tones [zone 2 or 3] and then determine the exposure. I use this when the subject brightness range is large

When I am shooting slides I have several ways that I may use to determine the exposure, in most used to least used:

Back to being just plain sirius.