This is a very good question and certainly pertinant.

I have spent some time observing other photographers web sites. The self promotion/marketing that this medium seems best suited for is apparently not well understood by those developing these sites. Things that immediately turn me off are sites that are slow loading. Those that are difficult to navigate come next on my pet peeve list. This is closely followed by images that are not well scanned and are unfaithful to the actual image. I would find myself reluctant to purchase a product from a photographer's site who was relatively or totally unknown to me unless some assurance of security and satisfaction were afforded.

I wonder how effective selling prints is via the internet. I think that a site probably serves an advertising role first and foremost. How many potential purchasers of photographic art will take the time to search out a site from the hundreds already in existence? How many will be compelled to pull out the Visa and commit to buying a digital representation of a physical object?

Kim Weston seems to have discovered a niche by doing the print of the month.This is an 8X10 contact print for a greatly reduced price. He must have learned this from his grandfather. Probably the Weston name does not hurt his acceptance. The price has something more to do with it. As I think about it, the cost of the print probably gives him an effective means of advertising that costs him virtually nothing and in fact may afford a small profit. This does force the photographer to continue to produce new work and that is not a bad thing.

George Provost has taken to marketing contact prints (Azo and conventional silver) via Ebay. The selling price is normally much less then $100.00 and that means a mounted and matted print. Certainly not a get rich quick scheme. But still it gets some prints out among the public. Again a long slow road to public awareness and acceptance. Certainly reminiscent of the early days of Ansel and Edward W.

As a further consideration, while we are speaking of marketing our efforts. I spoke with Michael Smith about his and wife Paula's two page ad in the Black and White magazine (American). If I remember correctly this is a commitment of about $2000 per issue. I asked him if he felt that the expense were justified and he replied that he had sold a print to a collector that finally took him as serious when he saw his ad consistantly running in the magazine for a year. That in his experience the commitment required, for those who wish to succeed, is immense.

Well enough of my rambling. I look forward to hearing the view points of others. Perhaps Aggie will weigh in since I understand that Per Volquartz was going to cover marketing at the North Coast Workshop. By the way, I think that Per's website and the images found there is among the best that I have seen.