Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin View Post
Sounds more like a religion to me. Sorry that was flip. I was being flip with Kirk too. Basically, if there's no precision in a language, how can ideas be properly communicated?
Nope, no religion.

Math and physics are precise, art and language are not.

According to Zone System testing, Zone I is four stops down from Zone V and Zone VIII is three stops up from Zone V. Sounds to me like the the Zones in the 7 stop range between Zone I and Zone VIII are divided into one stop steps.
If there is no difference between a zone and a stop, then there is no reason to use the word zone. If you want to talk with precision just stop using the word zone.

I've actually tried to reconcile that in my head and the explanation that fits is that in a standard contrast scene that spacing is true. The imprecision of language makes this idea a challenge to communicate.

If we use +2 development (to keep the math simple) it's only a 5-stop range (not 7) and zone V is not 4-stops up from zone I, it's only 3 stops up measured using a light meter. In this case Zone VIII is only 2-stops up from zone 5, not 3.

And who ever said sensitometry isn't creative?
Not me.