I am doing my first round of testing with paper negatives today and things are going along good, but I am getting a strange band on the paper negatives. I was wondering if anyone with experience has any ideas as to why this is happening?

Let me give you a little background first.

For the tests I am using my standard 4x5 view camera and normal film holders. After seeing the problem I used the same setup and exposed a sheet of film to confirm there were no problems with my camera equipment, etc. The film developed fine without any issue.

I have ordered some grade 2 RC paper, but for today all I have is my standard Ilford MG RC glossy paper. I tried with and without VC filters in regards to exposures and the band shows up on all exposures.

I have attached the raw scan so you can see what I am talking about. Look along the roof line of the house and you will see the banding that I am talking about. It runs the width of the negative. Disregards the writing in pencil on the image as I was doing this for testing purposes. Don't pay attention to the actual image because I selected this scene because it had whites, deep shadows and blacks so I could get a handle on exposure issues in the field later on.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas.

Tim