Quote Originally Posted by Kenski View Post
Yeah, I was shooting handheld at anywhere between 1/30th and 1/60th and between f/2.8 and f/5.6.

Charts pointed me to 7 min at 75 degrees so that is what I ran with.. Like I said, first time shooting, first time developing.. With film..
Honestly, while I like Delta 3200 a lot and using it isn't rocket science, I'd try a more general use film for first experiences. Try Tri-X or HP5 at 400 in a standard developer. DD-X should be fine since you have it (I've never used it so can't really say much about it, but I do like T-Max and T-Max RS a lot and I believe they are similar.) The "noise" will be much improved, as will the tonality.

I'm a 99% dyed in the wool film devotee most of the time, but the one area where I admit film just can't really compare to digital is in handheld low light shooting. The sensitivity just isn't there. You can get usable results in pretty dim light, and a "film look" of grain and higher contrast, rich midtones and highlights with deep dark detail less shadows pretty easily and that can be appealing, but if it's "normal quality" you're really after in low light hand held, film isn't up to digital. It shines in other areas.