[color=black][font=Verdana]Okay, this is super embarrassing - but I'll be upfront and come back with my findings. In short, AllanD you were right! I loaded the film holders incorrectly, and I apologize big time for being a cocky bastard. You can read on if you wish to hear my sorted tale… [/font][/color]
[color=black][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]First of all, yesterday after work I came home and shot 2 carefully metered portrait exposures in good natural light in front of the house. Later, I mixed fresh chemicals and processed the first sheet. SAME PROBLEM…GROSSLY UNDEREXPOSED…[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]Just before cursing Kodak, I went and retrieved the sheet box and looked on the back. Those pesky notches..! I’m starting to think I’m mildly dyslexic…[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]Anyway, on every b&w film I’ve used the notch is on top right (if viewing the emulsion side up with the sheet held vertically). This was my first box of Kodak 4x5 ever. Yes it’s true… [/font][/color]
[color=black][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]Before I initially loaded my holders, I was looking carefully at the strange notch pattern, and somewhere in my crazy brain I decided that Kodak must be different. Or is it all color film? Or is it remembering that someone who said to me not 3 weeks ago that some notches are on the opposite side of the edge (this is true, someone said this to me)? [/font][/color]
[color=black][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]Well, I put the damn sheets in emulsion side down. This was deliberate, and it makes it that much more embarrassing. I’ve never even had this happen with b&w sheets by accident, much less on purpose.[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]So… I go back downstairs and correct my remaining holders with the Kodak color sheets (hopefully I didn’t scratch the emulsion) and I shot a test sheet indoors just to confirm that I haven’t gone completely crazy. It turned out perfect after development. Valuable and silly lesson learned…[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]I’ll have to ask another question (as soon as all the laughter dies down)… Do any sheet films have the notches on the other side of that top edge..?[/font][/color]