Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
Every roll over 30" wide that I've ever used has been rolled emulsion side in. Therefore, if you handle the paper only once to cut it, scratching the emulsion will not be an issue. Crimping is the main concern and best dealt with by rolling the paper up as soon as you pull it and before you cut it. I have no idea why one would use anything other than a box cutter to cut the paper - major PITA. A straight cut is not a problem so long as you use the edge of the paper box as a guide.
Of course rolls are emulsion in. I didn't mean to suggest that the unrolling itself from the box would injure the emulsion. But dragging large unwieldy widths, of curly paper around sharp cardboard may scratch the emulsion as easily as it can cause flesh paper cuts. Even the freshly cut edge of the (glossy fiber) paper, if allowed to sppring back onto the emulsion side, may injure its surface. The last time I had one in the darkroom, I found that blood neither makes a good developer, nor a consistent toner. As I apparently unsuccessfully attempted to indicate, without writing a multi-page treatise, the method itself works fine at no cost, for occasional use. And feel free to use any cutting implement you wish specific to your unquestionably superior method. There are other options that work as well for others. My objective observations were only to suggest that planning and careful handling of paper are necessary deviations to more carefree sheet paper handling. I in no way meant to disparage a method which so demonstrably works so well for such a sensitive individual.