Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
Haha. Bill Gates' (and Steve Jobs') business model is simple and very effective. Make your own product obsolete on a periodic basis by introducing a minor new feature or two. But... you have to do so with a newer/better product that people actually want to buy. Until recently it was working very well for both. It is a business model that ultimately fails, but you make a helluva lot of money as long as you can keep it going.
And some companies have kept it going for decades (without making tons of money) by introducing genuine improvements to their products. Software is a special case because each additional copy of Word, for example, costs Microsoft essentially nothing to produce. That cannot be said for any tangible product, like a Leica perhaps. Don't make the mistake of extrapolating Steel Era business parameters to the digital realm; it doesn't work.

About 2012, uplist, I have bad feelings too. If the world's economy depends on people spending money they don't have (and it does) then what happens if they decide to, or must, buy only within their means for everything except really big ticket items? 0% interest rates haven't helped Japan one bit and I doubt it will work anywhere else. There will be non-niche companies disappearing in the next few years and while that doesn't by necessity spell doom for all niche companies, like film, it makes the task of survival even more difficult.

Perhaps there will be a 'Buy a Brick' drive, like with War Bonds. (Although I'm not old enough to remember War Bonds I am old enough to remember when a brick was twenty and not 10.)

s-a