Thanks for all your replies. I unpacked the old darkroom box and fired up the enlarger for the first time in what seems like forever (I miss having a dedicated darkroom!) and made a test print last night. Unfortunately it looks like my Fotospeed sepia toner is a little crusty these days so I didn't get a chance to try that, but I did selenium tone a sheet of Ilford Warmtone RC and I got pretty much what I wanted in the shadows. I need to order some fresh sepia toner, paper (humidity must have got to it, emulsion had some flaking) and a non-hardening fixer. But I think following all of your suggestions I will get what I am looking for.

Thank again! Love this forum.

pete