Thomas, this is something I have struggled with for a long time. What I finally ended up accepting is that if I am honest in my photography, and truly photograph what I want to photograph, I will likely never sell anything. There are two reasons for this.

#1: The subject matter I'm most interested in (for now at least) will never be popular with buyers, whether they are seriously into photography, or just looking for something decorative.

#2: I find that for the most part, print quality is overlooked by most people. They're simply not interested. I work extremely hard on my prints, and again, if I print honestly, the results are usually quieter and more subtle than the type of thing that would really grab someone's attention. The types of photographs and prints I have always admired are ones that I can continually come back to, over and over, perhaps finding new details to appreciate, rather than prints with alot of initial "zing" that might end up falling flat over time.

I guess in the end if your aesthetic preferences don't jive with what people like most (my case), you have to decide whether or not to comprimise. So far I have decided not to do that. I decided if I can satisfy myself, and also be able to go to someone like John Sexton with a portfolio and get a great review, I feel validated enough both as an artist and printer, even if no gallery will ever want to see or show my stuff. I can sort of rest knowing it's not because I suck.

I'm wondering why you're thinking about this though, Thomas. At least if we use APUG as an example, your work is quite popular and gets alot of attention. That's a pretty nice combination - doing honest work true to your vision, and also having it appreciated by many others!