While everything that others have said is undoubtedly true in their experience, I will take this opportunity to share an experience of mine that occurred in 1984. It was on the 4th of July holiday and I was living in Colorado. I was using 35 mm then and I had my camera set up for extreme close up work so that I could no longer focus the lens and my plane of focus was within 1/4 inch of the front lens element. I was on Peru Creek below Argentine Pass in Colorado. I intended, on that day, to photograph wild flowers and began to do so. While doing so, I became aware of flies on the flowers and was engrossed with them to the extent that I began to photograph them. During that afternoon, I became very involved in the process of "truly seeing a fly" for the first time ever. I saw the hair on their torsos, the irridescence of their wings, and the facets of their eyes. I was involved in the "process" of seeing to the extent that I felt part of a "greater whole".

I think that in my experience had I continued with the initial object of my attention (the wild flowers), I would have missed a wonderful and meaningful experience. I think that we are all involved in a process of "seeing" in new and unusual ways. To duplicate anothers vision would be to miss ours. To become so firmly entrenched in "usual" ways of seeing would be to disregard that which is there before us.