Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
I don't think she means that you shouldn't know anything at all about photography. You obviously have to know how to see to be any good at it. You know, light, timing, personality, connection with the subject matter, empathy, all that is important obviously.

What I think she's referring to are those that focus too much on the technical side of photography too much, understanding how all lenses work, how the minute details of one developer is different from another, etc. At least that's how I read her statement. The more you focus on those aspects of photography, the more you will be distracted from focusing on what's in front of you.

That's obviously my opinion, and I can't read her mind.
it's always a problem to generalize...

The bold quote made me think of one of the most expressive exhibitions I have ever seen (held in Prague). Done by blind children! So sensitive - great images....

I remember Sally Mann saying something about how she so didn't want to be too "good" in wet plate (the pouring part), as she was almost counting on the failures/mistakes on the plates...

But I also know W Moersch.... a true master in what he does, and I think his techniques helps him achieve his goals....

Photography is - or so it seems - different to other aspects of Art (?).
When D Helfgott became famous due to the film "the shine", I heard him play some Rachmaninov - and hated every bit of it - due to the lack of technique...

On the other hand I don't really like the "new master" of piano playing Lang Lang, and that is partly due to his technique...

As I see it, technique is a tool. A means to an end. If one makes it the "end", then photography could be a new discipline in the Olympics...

an image can't be great because of the technique, or lack of it - or even the choise of it..

the chosen technique should be closely integrated in the subject matter - so in the end, we're not looking at a photograph, but on an image.

This is why I still try.
The "perfect" photographs have been made long time ago... Why should we/I also do it?

Proberly for the same reason some still play Rachmaninov...