In a recent thread ("on technique") I mentioned this:
"the chosen technique should be closely integrated in the subject matter - so in the end, we're not looking at a photograph, but on an image."

This was not understood - and thought as a lenguage/translation mistake, but it wasn't...

It was suggested, that we all are photographers in here, so...

The "problem" is, that I don't consider my self a "photographer"... I see my self as an image maker in lack of better words..

To illustrate this I am here telling you a little about my current challenge:

I am to (try to) make an "official" portrait of the headmaster at my school, from when I was a student here (30+ years ago). If successful, they are to be hanged together with all the previous portraits of the headmasters from 1872 and foreward.

This is maybe the most difficult task I have ever set my self.. The whole idea, that I should make such portraits for the furture to see, is intimidating..

I am teacher in photography here, so the photography was of course my choise of technique...
However, not quite:
I decided not to make photographs of the couple, but want to make a schetchy like photograph/painting/drawing.....(an image rather than a photograph)

And I have the tool to do it: bromoil printing.
I have now photographed the sweet couple (Frederik and Birthe), and just finished applying liquid emulsion on rather big heavy paper (50x100cm)...

So far so good - now comes the difficult part: the bromoil printing...

first of all, I have never done such big bromoils before - and just the bleaching out process was quite a challenge, as my trays are not nearly big enough (and the chemistry used is rather poisonous.......)

But I think I managed /still alive). The bleached image looks little strange - I am hoping it will be ok - or I have to start all over..

I made a faint pencil drawing around the main areas I wanted in the pictures, and then I applyed the emulsion kind of rough and "random"..

I have taken a snap of both the original straight portraits, and the pictures as they appear as liquid emulsion prints...

Tomorrow, I'll see if the oil will work with me or not.. and submit my results - good or bad...

I am doing this "incognity", as I want to just not tell the school if I fail....