Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
...I would like to hear from people who have or had one of these.... I liked the rugged, old-school looks, the mirror lock feature and the fact that apparently, it has a very accurate shutter and meter. Of course it takes the dreaded mercury batteries...

I own a Canon FD system and had a Canon EF for many years. I eventually sold it to a friend who literally begged me to sell the camera to her as she liked it so much.

The only downside to the camera as far as I am concerned has to do with the batteries. Be prepared to keep a stock on hand as the camera requires two to keep the meter and electronic shutter speeds going. It might be nice to have a motor drive option, but otherwise, I thought the camera perfect.

It was built into an F-1 shell and all the controls for mirror lock-up, D-O-F preview, timer, etc., were in the same place as on my F-1 body which I really liked. Like the F-1, it was a substantial, heavy camera, and I liked that.

The long electronic shutter speed range coupled wih the standard mechanical range was great. The meter was very sensitive and one of the best for its time period. It always felt to me like this camera was a hybrid between the F-1 and slightly later AE-1 which replaced it quickly in the marketplace.

My system at the time incorporated F-1, EF and A-1 bodies along with several Canon lenses from 20mm out to 500mm Fluorite. I still have the F-1 and A-1 but traded the 500mmm for an 8x10 system with 300mm lens. I don't use 35mm anymore but still keep the Canon system around. I liked this FD equipment so much that I don't know what I would do today if I had to replace the system with something modern.

I'd say go for it. I think you'll really like the camera if you can deal with the battery issue. I eventually always used the EF with high-speed infrared because I never had to meter with the film, hence didn't need to worry about the batteries, and kept color and a panchromatic b&W roll in the other two bodies.

Joe