Quote Originally Posted by Kugerfang View Post
1. I read that Ilford 3200 is actually ISO 1000. Should I set my camera to ISO 1000 and develop the film as ISO 3200 or should I set my camera to ISO 3200 and develop it as ISO 3200?
2. I like grain, but I hate heavy grain. I know that 3200 is very grainy, but what steps can I take to minimize it?
3. Can I just leave my camera in its normal evaluative (matrix) metering mode or do I need to do some weird stuff to get proper exposures?
1. Rate it at EI 1000 if you want to expose it "correctly," or "normally." This being said, it handles underexposure well, because it is a flat film. When you underexpose it, it will not drop shadow detail and texture as readily as most other films. It can easily handle being shot at 2000 and 4000, and at 8000 or higher for subjects in which shadow detail is not important.

2. It is a grainy film. If you can get away with ISO 1000, I would use T-Max 400 instead, since you don't like grain. If you have to rate it higher than 1000 to get the exposure you need, you'll have to compromise. Either use the T-Max and get less grain, but very poor exposure, or use the Delta and get an extra stop of exposure, but much more grain. I'd try both and see what you like best.

3. An incident meter is ideal, if light levels are high enough to get a reading. But if you use your in-camera meter, you just have to make sure you set the EI to the number that will give you hand holdable shutter speeds, instead of letting the camera read the DX code on the cassette. Be careful of backlighting and/or other contrasty compositions when using an in-camera meter. They can lead to terrible underexposure.