Lots of good advice here, but maybe you need to be more specific and give us some example images.

For example, if it's on fiber-based paper are you considering the dry-down? That might be your golden answer there. If you're not, you need to be able to either "read" the print prior to dry down to evaluate your highlights and shadows and how they act with the dry-down along with the changes in contrast, OR, you get a blow-dryer to dry down your test strips quickly and make your decision based on a dry example.

If you're guessing your exposure from a test-strip, it might be useful to use larger test strips that will give you more information. I used to use the least amount of paper I would be able to get away with to make a decision and would almost always be off a little bit. It wasn't until I started using 1/3 of a sheet and multiple test strips at different contrasts and exposures that I started to nail it down better.

Whatever you decide to do, it's important to take good notes on everything you do. You can write on the back of your test strips and prints with a sharpie or pencil before exposure as long as they are work prints and then you have all your information there.

Personally, I can nail my finals with 3-8 test strips and 1-3 work print(s) and then move onto a final that same session. I like to really work a print for up to 4 hours to finalize it rather than coming back to it later. So, everyone will have a different method of flow. But there's lots of good advice here. Just play around and see what works best for you.