Only understanding of exposure, spot metering and knowing a film's characteristics is the most accurate type of metering. Anything else and you are letting the program decide on what is proper exposure. This of course is not always bad as evaluative metering allowed folks who don't understand exposure control or film characteristics to be able to get good exposure.

BTW, I have been going through a stack of 1957 and 1958 magazines and found something of interest. In 1957 there was no matrix metering - or for that matter even built-in meters, and yet photographers were able to properly expose slide film just fine. I knew that most all cameras then didn't have built-in metering but I didn't know that for 35mm, they only had slides and b&w film types to choose from as Kodacolor color negatives didn't become available until 1958.

I am sure Nikon's - and others, super advance metering systems work very well for what it is designed for but it is not more accurate as no system can possibly read a photographer's mind on how he intends to expose a scene because some photographers may not know it themselves . . .