Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post

I don't think that is a valid statement .
Filters will fundamentally change the result on film; e.g. a polariser, used excessively, will do what? If used in moderation, what else will it do? And what effect if used in shade? The traps are many and numerous.

Understanding slide film and colour starts with the basics of exposing the film without filters in many different situations, especially contrasty light to understand latitude. Basics first. Remember the OP is moving from benign negative film to transparency. It's not a trick-free circus. As skills and knowledge progress, then introduce filters as required. I emphasised taking notes of each exposure to facilitate understanding.

I noticed an earlier post re this: my experience using graduated ND filters on evaluative/multi-pattern meters especially is to avoid this trap with those particular meter types, or switch to CWA only.
In terms of filters I currently only use a polarizer and a .6 ND filter (and of coarse a UV filter to protect my lens). I can see how others could be needed though; my normal method for correcting for bad lighting/ incorrect temperature is a slight overexposure to ensure all the color layers are exposed, anything else is fixed on the computer. Obviously overexposing is not possible with slides.

I have alot to learn in terms of filtering. I will probably pick up a grey card and shoot unfiltered like you said to get an idea how the slides behave