Yes, tripods are forbidden in many places... Not only to avoid people of falling on the legs... but also to sell more "good" pictures in the tourist shop! It's the same reason why flash is forbidden in such places as many of the artefacts will never be affected by the light... (while of course some would be)...
So, I have one monopod... that I use everywhere and everytime I cannot take my tripod... To make sure I don't forget them at home, both of them typically remain in my car...
I also never directly use the shutter button of my blad but use a short cable to reduce camera twisting because of the pressure...
It's just an unexpensive monopod (don't believe a monopod would require many features in my case, I even removed some additional elements it had and that I didn't care) on which I have a manfrotto head. This allows me to have same quick fix on this monopod, my own tripod, and even some other people's tripods that are using Manfrotto ballhead... and so quickly decide for the best solution at every time.
In addition to these solutions I quite frequently use my camera bag (a medium size lowepro) for longer shots (1/15s to 1sec) with very good results... but of course with very limited levelling options... I never have seen any place where the camera was allowed and not the camera bag...