Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
Rangefinders are small, easy to handhold and quick to use, and best of all, the optics are sharper than SLR optics.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my Leica M3, but your sweeping statements are simply not true. Not only are there 35mm SLR cameras that are as small, or even smaller, than Leica M bodies (Olympus OM system comes to mind) but there are many SLR lenses that are demonstrably superiour to anything Leica or Zeiss has ever made for rangefinder cameras. Also (especially if you're hand-holding) lens sharpness doesn't matter - only the subject matters!

It all depends on the style of your photography. Of the many internet memes about rangefinders that are untrue (such as their supposedly superiour optics, better handholdability, etc) one that strangely does seem to be true, is that people seem to notice them less for spontaneous portraits. Just the other day I attended a party, and these two lovely ladies - even though I photographed them from about a metre away - was simply unaware that I had photographed them! If this was the first time this had happened, I could discount it, but it's a regular occurrence - people seem to have some sort of built-in response to an (especially if it's a black / modern-looking) SLR camera.

(Leica M3, Voigtländer Heliar 50mm f/3.5)

To the OP, enjoy your rangefinders! I have a different problem - my 4x5in view camera is taking over...!