Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
Ouch. That really stung, Greg.

I think of it as a good trait of character to like whatever I want to like, without listening the vernacular of popular opinion.
It becomes sticky, and difficult, if I happen to agree with popular opinion. Fortunately, this time, I don't. Contemporary photography? To me it's all just 'photography', and either I have a positive experience viewing a picture, or I don't. That is all there is to it. The intellectual side of it is completely uninteresting to me, because I hate labels with a passion.

I am fascinated by other people's opinions, however. So that I can try understand, what in particular is it about Gursky's work that appeals to you? I'm very interested to hear you opinion. Seriously. No knee jerk.
Thomas, I was not directing my statement towards you personally. Quite the contrary, I think you express your opinions very well and I respect them, even if I disagree. Others do not explain their opinions well at all and leave pithy comments that do nothing for the conversation. Mine may have fallen in that category this time as I usually put more effort in what I write here. It's late now, but tomorrow I will comment further and more in depth about my opinion of this piece and what I meant by contemporary photography.