Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
Good morning, Richard, et al;

Please be careful when making "General Statements" of Fact and Policy Applicable to All Things. Quickly you learn about "The Exceptions."

In this case, most of the Russian, Ukraine, or similar Former Soviet Union (FSU) cameras REQUIRE exactly the opposite care and procedure: FIRST you cock or arm the shutter of most FSU cameras, THEN you change the shutter speed selection on most FSU cameras. Failure to follow this procedural order probably will damage or at least knock out of calibration the shutter speed dial on most FSU cameras.

These precautions are included in the operational instructions for the Kiev-88, Kiev-88CM, FED-2c, Zorki-4, and Zorki-4K cameras here, and are valid for all of the other FSU cameras with which I am familiar, but I admit that I do not have samples of every Russian or FSU camera.

Obtain a copy of, and read, the instruction manual for your camera.

I also fire to release the tension on the shutter mechanism before I store the camera.
I am only talking about Folders, not the FSU zorkis etc, which are not, as far as I am aware, folders, and I am also talking about German and English folders, af which I have a big collection of working cameras and use them in preferance to ''modern'' Slrs,MF Etc, my folders are from a 1938 Voightlander Baby Bessa 66 to a 1954 Ensign Selfix 12/20, and much in between, and my remarks apply to these cameras, especially the Ensigns, with their in house Epsilon shutters, in which if you change from the fast cam (25 and above) to the slow cam(10 and below) you can dwhile the shutter is cocked, you can do severe damage to the shutter, as I know from personal experiance in my early days of using these cameras, before I know as much about them as I know now,

Richard