PE, thanks for the note. When you were at EK did you work directly with or for Haist? Over the 30+ years he was at EK, did he work on a wide variety of things (color films, B&W, papers, chemistry etc) or was he focused more on a particular area of research. Did he lead the development of specific products we would recognize? How about yourself? I've been curious since I joined APUG. It's truly a privilege for us to have you here.

Another thing I think about - when people like Haist and others wrote their technical books for the public, how did they know where to draw the line between what could be written for public consumption and what was proprietary? If we take Modern Photographic Processing as an example, did the EK legal department go through everything before publication? I'm not really referring to obvious trade secrets and proprietary formulas. What I mean is, principles, mechanisms and other information in the book which Haist himself may have acquired by having conducted research at EK. For illustrative purposes consider the following example. Suppose through research Haist led at EK, at some point he identified yet another interaction between Sodium Sulfite and dissolved silver ions, an additional mechanism to add to the complex role of sulfite in developers. Is such a discovery automatically deemed to be the intellectual property of EK since it was made in the EK lab? In his book, when writing about the many roles of sulfite in development, could he include this mechanism, or was he restricted to simply compiling information that was already public domain? I guess what I'm getting at is, as much as there is in Modern Photographic Processing, there must be a lot more he couldn't divulge.