I'm sure this question has come up before, but I would like to hear different folks' experience with the Sunny 16 rule. I lived in Pennsylvania when I first became aware of exposure, and nothing was ever Sunny 16. The best you could hope for with the sun directly behind you at mid-day was Sunny 11; Sunny 8 was pretty common. Then I moved to Texas, and the summer sun directly behind would meter f16, but f11 was still more common. On trips to the Rockies, the Sunny 16 rule (as displayed on the back of my Olympus S II's) worked out right, and I could feel the increased sun's intensity on the back of my neck. I also saw f16 on trips to Hawaii. So for many years I was content to interpret Sunny 16 as a "brightest possible sun" rule, often seen in the tropics and a mile or more up in the Rockies, occassionally seen in Texas, never in Appalachians.

I recently got back from a trip to England, in September. Two weeks before the equinox, at latitudes above 50 degrees, essentially at sea level I was concerned that the 100VS film would be pushing its practical limits. But the meter showed otherwise. England was metering a full stop faster than I would have expected in Texas. The processed film proved the meter was correct.

What have other people observed about Sunny 16 at various locations?