I was visiting a friend the other night, many drinks were had and I was talking about my photography. I asked him if he'd be interested in giving it a try and he said he would be. The thing is that he's disabled. He's in a wheelchair, and doesn't have enough strength in his arms to hold a viewfinder to his eyes or hold a compact in front of him and see the screen. I of course said this wasn't a problem and today I went off and bought a Holga with a waist level finder (thing to note, watch out for their deals, I got this at almost half the listed price.) Now, I don't know if this will have a tripod mount on it, and if it does all the better because he said he'd be able to move and shove the tripod about.

So I'm trying to to figure out what kind of advice I can give him to help him get the most out of his first few rolls of film. If this was any of my other friends (and I plan to give them loans of cameras to get them going) I'd be telling them that the first thing about photography is movement. Moving about with your viewfinder and seeing what looks different or interesting, e.g. standing on things, or getting down low, interesting looks with converging lines in buildings, moving up close to throw out perspective, etc. This friend can't do much of that. He's pretty much stuck to seeing things at waist level of a wheelchair. He'll be limited by mounts to foothpaths and roads and won't be able to manipulate the camera into the "correct" space. Of course I'm very interested in what he comes up with (much like where I read about a photography teacher giving his camera to his small child and seeing what perspective he saw things from.) I'd still like to be able to give him advice about getting the right picture. I'll have thrown most of this to chance with something like a Holga, limited settings, 400asa film (although I'm hoping the MF will allow for more lattitude.)

If you had words of advice for someone taking their first pictures in this situation, what would it be? Beyond the fact that he's in an interesting position from his disability anyway, which is certainly a silver line to storm clouds kind of situation.